Some links on this page are monetized by affiliate programs - see disclosure for details.
If you’re an avid surfer, you surf in all different conditions. It doesn’t matter whether it’s steaming hot or cold and rainy; you’ll be hitting the waves. But if you’re going to surf in cold water, there is some equipment that you’ll need. One of the most necessary pieces of equipment for surfing in cold water is a pair of surf booties.
Surf booties are like wet suits for your feet, keeping them insulated so that they can handle cold and uncomfortable temperatures. Booties are most commonly made out of neoprene which fits snugly to your feet, ensuring minimum leakage, and maximum warmth at all times.
Compare the Top Ten Best Surf Booties of 2021
|1. Hyperflex AMP 2mm Low Reef Boot||Hyperflex||Neoprene||$$$|
|2. FCS Surf SP2 Reef Booties||FCS||Neoprene||$$$|
|3. Henderson Surf Booties||Henderson||Combination||$$$|
|4. O'Neill Wetsuits Mens Superfreak Tropical 2 mm Split Toe Boot||O'Neill||Neoprene||$$$|
|5. Tilos Osmos Water Draining Vented Sock 1.5mm Neoprene Booties||Tilos||Neoprene||$$|
|6. Body Glove Wetsuit Co 2mm Future Shock II Split Toe Boots||Body Glove Wetsuit Co.||Nylon||$$$|
|7. NeoSport Wetsuits XSPAN 5mm Socks||NeoSport||Neoprene||$$|
|8. Blue Dive Booties||Blue Dive||Neoprene||$|
|9. Xcel Men's Reefwalker Round Toe 1mm Boot||Xcel||Neoprene||$|
|10. Seavenger Wetsuits Premium Neoprene Water Fin Sock||Seavenger||Neoprene||$|
Things to Consider When Choosing Surf Booties
- 1 Things to Consider When Choosing Surf Booties
- 2 Reviews: The Best Booties To Keep Your Feet Warm This Winter
- 2.1 1. Hyperflex AMP 2mm Low Reef Boot
- 2.2 2. FCS Surf SP2 Reef Booties
- 2.3 3. Henderson Surf Booties
- 2.4 4. O’Neill Wetsuits Mens Superfreak Tropical 2 mm Split Toe Boot
- 2.5 5. Tilos Osmos Water Draining Vented Sock 1.5mm Neoprene Booties
- 2.6 6. Body Glove Wetsuit Co 2mm Future Shock II Split Toe Boots
- 2.7 7. NeoSport Wetsuits XSPAN 5mm Socks
- 2.8 8. Blue Dive Booties
- 2.9 9. Xcel Men’s Reefwalker Round Toe 1mm Boot
- 2.10 10. Seavenger Wetsuits Premium Neoprene Water Fin Sock
While all surf booties appear to be about the same on the surface, there are actually quite a few things which separate them. By taking these things into consideration, you stand the best chance of buying the booties that are right for you. Things to consider include comfort, construction, insulation, and traction.
As with any kind of footwear, you want your surf booties to be comfortable. Some booties are shaped to fit perfectly the contours of the feet, while others are essentially just flat and rigid. You’ll typically have to spend more money for more comfort, but it’s definitely worth the extra cost.
Whereas some booties are designed for maximum adjustability and durability, others are hastily thrown together on a line in a factory. It’s important that the booties you buy are capable of adjusting to meet the exact specifications of your foot size. Slippage and an ill-fit will result in leakage that defeats the entire purpose of wearing booties in the first place.
The vast majority of surf booties are made out of neoprene which is specifically designed to insulate the feet. However, there are also some booties which contain internal liners that provide the feet with additional warmth. There’s no pair of booties that will make your feet too warm, so seek out the warmest you can find.
Standing up on a surfboard obviously requires a decent amount of traction. Many surf booties are designed with rather smooth outsoles. These, in most cases, will not be appropriate for staying upright during surfing. Look for booties with rougher, more textured outsoles. These will provide better grip and traction.
Reviews: The Best Booties To Keep Your Feet Warm This Winter
1. Hyperflex AMP 2mm Low Reef Boot
The first surf booties we’ll review are the Hyperflex AMP 2mm Low Reef Boots. These booties provide superb comfort and insulation properties, and can justifiably be called the best surf booties on the market today.
They possess a neoprene upper which provides equal parts warmth and comfort. Weighing in at around 0.75 pounds each, they add almost no weight to your feet, making you feel almost as if you’re barefoot.
These booties are equipped with a thermal liner that keeps the feet insulated, and which provides tons of cushion. With nearly flawless stitching, and en easily adjustable drawstring, they are designed to tighten snugly to the contours of your feet. All in all, these are the best surf booties on the market today.
- Neoprene upper provides both flexibility and insulation
- Drawstring and Velcro strap allow for maximum adjustment
- Rough, textured outsole provides top-notch traction and grip
- Weighing in at 0.75 a piece, they’re ridiculously lightweight
2. FCS Surf SP2 Reef Booties
Next up on our list are the FCS Surf SP2 Reef Booties. They possess superb construction quality and are as insulated as any pair of booties you’re going to find. An argument could easily be made for them being the best surf booties on the market.
These booties possess uppers which are made out of high-quality neoprene. This means that they are both insulated and lightweight. In total, they weigh in at around a pound a piece. There is an ankle harness contained in these booties that is used to lock your feet firmly into place regardless of their shape or width.
As far as adjustability goes, these booties are fantastic. There are drawstring attached at their ankle sections, and two Velcro attachments around their upper foot sections. These ensure that your feet stay locked in place, and that water isn’t able to leak in. All in all, this is a superb pair of surf booties.
- Drawstring and Velcro adjustments allow for ultimate fit
- Neoprene uppers provide both flexibility and insulation
- Lightweight construction makes them very easy to move around in
- Rough, textured outsole allows for ultimate traction and grip
3. Henderson Surf Booties
The next surf booties we’ll review are these ones from Henderson. These differ from the first two pairs we reviewed in that they go half way up their lower leg. So, while they might not be as comfortable as the first two reviewed, they provide arguably better insulation.
These booties are made out of a combination of materials, including neoprene, nylon, and a few others. Altogether, these materials work to provide both insulation and flexibility. Weighing in at around 1.5 pounds a piece, they aren’t as light as some, but are still fairly easy to move around in.
They possess texture outsoles which provide terrific grip and traction at all times. With glued seams, they don’t allow any water to leak in unless it makes its way in through their tops. All in all, this is an excellent pair of surf booties.
- Designed to fit halfway up your lower leg
- Combination of materials works together to provide flexibility and insulation
- Textured outsole ensure terrific traction at all times
- Glued seams stop all traces of leaking
4. O’Neill Wetsuits Mens Superfreak Tropical 2 mm Split Toe Boot
A great pair of split-toe surf booties is this pair from O’Neill. The Superfreaks offer superb comfort to go with exceptional insulation capabilities. Available for a mid-level price, they’re excellent for surfing in cold conditions.
These booties weigh in at around 0.7 pounds each, making them ridiculously light; almost to the point of feeling like you’re not even wearing them. They possess neoprene uppers which provide both flexibility and insulation.
Equipped with drawstrings and Velcro attachment, they can be adjusted to fit the exact specifications of your feet. For traction purposes, they sport rough and texture outsoles. All in all, this is a very solid pair of surf booties.
- Extremely lightweight construction allows for effortless maneuverability
- Split-toe design offers superb feel
- Velcro and drawstring adjusters allow for flawless fit
- Rough and textured outsoles provide superb traction
5. Tilos Osmos Water Draining Vented Sock 1.5mm Neoprene Booties
The next pair of surf booties on our list are a little different than the previously reviewed ones in that they’re more like socks. These booties are available for a very reasonable price, and offer quite a bit in the ways of feel and insulation.
They possess uppers which are made out of neoprene, giving them a stretchy, but insulated shell that keeps your feet warm throughout your surf. These booties lock close to your ankle to keep out any external residue such as sand or dirt.
They don’t possess any attachment mechanisms, but are designed to fit snugly against your ankle and lower leg so that they don’t move around. With a rough, textured outsole, they provide terrific traction. All in all, these surf booties from Tilos are a solid pair. They’re great for those who prioritize flexibility and feel.
- Neoprene construction offers both flexibility and insulation
- Rough, textured outsole provides plenty of traction
- Weigh in at 0.5 pounds a piece, making them very lightweight
- Elastic top fits snugly to your leg regardless of size
6. Body Glove Wetsuit Co 2mm Future Shock II Split Toe Boots
Another fine pair of split-toe surf booties is this pair from Body Glove Wetsuit Co. These booties are available for a reasonable price, and offer fantastic amounts of both comfort and insulation.
Unlike with many surf booties, these ones are made with nylon uppers. This makes them a little less flexible, yet still very lightweight and warm. They’re stitched together exceptionally, and make use of glue to ensure that there are no open areas.
For adjustment purposes, these booties are equipped with an intricate lacing system. All you have to do is pull on a drawstring to tighten them to the snugness of your choice. With a textured outsole, they provide terrific traction in wet and dry conditions. All in all, these are very solid mid-level surf booties.
- Equipped with an intricate adjustment system for a quick fit
- Made out of nylon, giving them a little more stiffness than some
- Textured outsole provides quite a bit of traction
- Split-toe design allows for plenty of feel and comfort
7. NeoSport Wetsuits XSPAN 5mm Socks
If you’re looking to spend the least amount of money possible, you might consider the NeoSport Wetsuits X SPAN 5mm Socks. These are available for a very reasonable price, and are exceedingly flexible compared to other surf booties.
They’re made out of neoprene, giving them a combination of insulation and flexibility, and ensuring that your feet stay as comfortable as possible. The outsoles on these booties are made out of synthetic rubber, and provide standard amounts of traction.
There is no attachment mechanism equipped on these booties. They’re designed to fit snugly to your leg regardless of its size through the use of spandex. All in all, these are a solid budget option for those who are looking to spend very little money.
- Made out of neoprene, giving them flexibility and insulation
- Equipped with a textured outsole for ultimate traction
- Spandex ankles ensure a snug fit regardless of leg size
- Available for a very reasonable price
8. Blue Dive Booties
An even cheaper option than the NeoSports reviewed above are these booties from Blue Dive. Available or a general pittance, they’re not as insulated or as durable as high-end booties, but are passable, and very flexible.
These booties are made out of neoprene, meaning that they possess decent insulation and flexibility properties. They’re equipped with texture outsoles, providing decent amounts of traction in both wet and dry conditions.
For attachment purposes, they’re equipped with small Velcro straps. These allow you to tighten them to meet your personal preferences. While these aren’t great surf booties, they’re good for their price. If you’re a budget buyer, these wouldn’t be a bad choice.
- Neoprene construction provides tons of flexibility
- Textured outsole offers decent traction
- Velcro adjustment mechanism allows for some fit variation
- Some of the most affordable booties on the market
9. Xcel Men’s Reefwalker Round Toe 1mm Boot
Up next are the Xcel Men’s Reefwalker Round Toe 1mm Boots. These booties are available for a reasonable price, and offer fairly standard construction quality and insulation.
These booties are made out of thin neoprene which offers only the standard in terms of insulation. They are, however, extremely flexible, contorting easily to whichever direction your feet move. With textured outsoles, they provide terrific traction overall.
As far as attachments go, these have none. What they do have is a strip of spandex which fits snugly to your ankle regardless of its shape and size. This allows them to keep out most sand and dirt. All in all, these are good, but not great surf booties.
- Available for a reasonable price
- Made out of thin neoprene, giving them excellent flexibility
- Textured outsole provides plenty of traction
- Spandex ankle gives them a fairly snug fit
10. Seavenger Wetsuits Premium Neoprene Water Fin Sock
The last surf booties on our list, and a decent pair of budget booties, the Seavenger Wetsuits Premium Neoprene Water Fin Socks offer decent amounts in the ways of construction quality and insulation.
These booties are made out of rather thick neoprene, provide above average insulation overall. They’re even quite flexible, shaping to the exact movements of your feet. Their outsoles provide decent amounts of traction, but aren’t the most protective.
There are no attachment mechanisms on these booties. They use spandex to fit snugly to your ankles. This keeps them from moving around too much, and from letting too much external debris. All in all, these are good budget surf booties.
- Made out of neoprene, providing them with flexibility and insulation
- Textured outsoles provide decent traction
- Spandex ankles allow for a snug fit
- Available for a general pittance